Winter weather conditions sometimes prompt Anchorage Public School to cancel school, delay school or dismiss early. Therefore it’s a good idea to decide in advance how best to keep up with the changes, what child-care arrangements are needed, and how to adjust to a different schedule. Also, please make sure your child’s school has up-to-date phone numbers and emergency contacts for your family.
Getting the word out
Announcements are made as early as possible on Louisville news channels (WDRB, WHAS, WLKY & WAVE) and the APS website. Families can register to receive a phone-call, and/or text-message, and/or email through our REACH Alert system. We do not follow Jefferson County’s decision on school closings.
Students’ safety is a top priority, so on wintry days, district employees begin assessing conditions as early as 3:30 a.m. These leaders consider roads, sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, precipitation, outdoor temperatures, wind chills, current conditions and the weather forecast, with a goal of announcing a decision by 6:00 a.m.
Whenever travel is unsafe, APS has three choices:
- Cancel school
- Delay the start of school
- Dismiss school early
Sign Up for REACH Alerts. One way the Anchorage Independent Board of Education supports school/parent communication is through the purchase of an emergency parent-notification system. The Board partners with the City of Anchorage and the Anchorage Police Department in using REACH Alert to communicate timely information with parents. Our school REACH Alert system is used to announce closings and to share important information if an emergency arises. Directions are as follows:
- If you registered for Anchorage School REACH Alerts in a previous school year, no action is needed as you are already in our system and will continue to receive alerts.
- If you are already registered for REACH Alert through the City of Anchorage or any other organization, but have not registered to receive Anchorage School alerts, you can skip the registration process. Just login to your current account and click on JOIN NETWORK on the right side of your dashboard page. Enter “Anchorage School” and click on our name in the dropdown list and follow the prompts.
- If you are not registered to receive Anchorage School alerts we encourage you to sign up in order that you will receive important school emergency and weather-related delay and closure information.
- Go to reachalert.com and click on MY ACCOUNT and then select CREATE ACCOUNT to establish your initial account.
- Follow the prompts.
- When prompted for Network Name, enter Anchorage School and click on the school name when it appears in the dropdown list.
- When prompted for a role select parent
- Ensure that you have included settings to receive “Alerts” (checkbox) – See graphic below
- Upon joining the school network you may also want to click on JOIN and select the City of Anchorage
- If you opted to receive text alerts, REACH Alert will send a text message to your cell phone immediately upon completion of your registration. Please enter the 4-digit number on the registration screen and then click the word VALIDATE. If you do not receive this message, please call REACH Alert at (877) 307-9313.
- After you have completed the registration process, you may add other phone numbers and email addresses. From your dashboard page, click on the second tab at the top of the page – CONTACT INFO. From this page you will see where you can add and delete numbers and addresses.